Thursday, November 16, 2006

On reflection...

The more I think about it, the more I think I should just stay here. I mean, okay: the maid washes my bedclothes and cleans my room, I get free food, I have a garden, air conditioning and hot water, it's going to be great for learning to speak Thai, and I get to hang out with Thai movie stars. Oh, and I don't have to pay rent. And the family's going to take me on holiday to Chiang Mai next year. Why would I want to move out?

The only possible reasons for wanting my own place are 1) to bring boys home (and I don't want to do that anyway. It would involve boys) and 2) being able to stay out late without any comment – but I think I can work around that by telling them I share taxis, or staying over at friends'.

So I asked Smile if it's okay that I stay here, and he said of course it was, they're delighted to have me, and for the whole family “it is very honour to service you”. Well okay then. And he called Mair through and repeated the conversation, and she was smiley and happy and called me daughter and we all had a happy, smiley family moment together. And then they tried to teach me how to say Mair (Mum) and Paw (Dad), and laughed at me. Oh, the fun we had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home