Friday, November 03, 2006

Bananarama

I just had the most yummy banana concoction. I thought I'd be adventurous and try one of the banana skewers from the stall I've walked past every day. Basically it's five of those baby bananas double-skewered, barbecued over hot coals. I'm getting pretty good at wordless transactions, even though I can do numbers now (I just always forget how to say “how much?”), so I point at the bananas, the lady shows me a 20baht note (it seems like everything at the market is 20baht), I nod and smile. She gets a skewer, rests it over a pot, cuts with scissors down the middle of the bananas, and pushes them off the skewers into a bag (all takeaway food is served in bags here – everything – from nuts to curries to sauces to drinks!). Then she gets a ladle of dark brown liquid and pours it in on top. I'm thinking, please don't let that be soy sauce or something. That wouldn't be nice. But it turns out to be the most absolutely delicious, slightly molasses-y sweet syrup. It was good. Unfortunately I now have syrup all over my text books. And my timetable. And my computer.

1 Comments:

At 9:33 am, Blogger Laura said...

Glad to hear you are getting your five pieces of fruit a day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home