Wednesday, November 01, 2006

My second class

Okay, the second class (5th grade) went a lot better. I talked to Michael (an American; he's been teaching here for four months already), and he made a few suggestions – get the class to introduce themselves individually, and have everyone ask me a question. So I did that, and that took up some time. And I actually had proper support from the teacher (unfortunately I think I only have the one class a week with her). Then they asked me about British/American festivals for the rest of the lesson. Third class of the day, 4th grade, not too bad. Fourth class, 2nd grade, bit of a nightmare.

You know, I kind of had visions of neat rows of eager little Thais, who would chorus “good morning teacher” when I walked in the room, listen obediently while I gave them instruction, and carry out the tasks without complaint, and it would all be just lovely and happy. SO not like that. They're an absolute rabble! They pile into class in an entirely disorderly fashion and then refuse to stop talking for the whole lesson! I tried playing a game (“put your hand up if you... like basketball, come from Thailand, etc. etc.), but I just had to give up in the end. And I'm not very good at shouting.

It's so misleading – they look so regimented in their school uniforms (right down to the regulation school shoes). Trade Descriptions! This is not going to be an easy job. Remind me why I ever thought this would be a good idea?

Also just realised I left my adapter on my mobile charger, so I only have 45 minutes of battery power left. Bugger.

And I still don't know what I'm supposed to be basing my lesson plans on for next week. I have text books, but I've no idea where they're at in them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home