Thursday, December 14, 2006

Thai sweets

If there's one thing I'm known for... actually if there's one thing I'm known for it's my eternal optimism in the face of reality. But if there's another thing I'm known for, it's my sweet tooth. I can eat M&S chocolate chip cookies for breakfast (and indeed would, if only there were an M&S in Nonthaburi), fruit for lunch, snack on a Milky Way and then have banoffee pie and ice-cream for supper. But I have nothing on the Thai sweet tooth. These people drink freshly squeezed sugar cane juice. And today I arrived home to see the family have left out some of their favourite sweets for me. I see these things in the market. They're bright orange, and from what I can gather are made from egg yolk and syrup (possibly with some sort of semolina or something thrown in – I'm not sure). They're about three times sweeter than sugar. They don't even really have a flavour – they just taste of sweet. And even I can't handle more than two or three of these things (about the size of a Thornton's chocolate) without feeling quite sick. Whoever wrote the chapter in the rough guide on food that says “Desserts don't really feature” clearly hasn't been here.

1 Comments:

At 9:41 am, Blogger Laura said...

Charlotte beaten by a sweetie, I can't believe it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home